They Call Her Blessed!


Enjoy the e-gallery of Betty Slade and her paintings of the "Women of the Wind Series". This collection of paintings are the impressionist Southwest women seen through the eyes of Proverbs. Also there will be added southwest landscapes and adobes.

Dedicated to My Son Stephen,
A Leader of men, a server of tables, and full of the Holy Spirit. My charge to you is that you lead with wisdom, serve with kindness and walk in the fullness of the Holy Spirit.
Then you will complete your name, Stephenos, a crowning glory.

My son, hear the instruction of your father, and do not forsake the law of your mother -- for they will be an ornament of grace on your head, and chains about your neck.

Proverbs 1:8,9

Many of the Proverbs and Wisdom have been written in the female voice. This is wisdom that King Solomon acquired sitting at the feet of his mother. Her endearing name for him was King Lemuel, and the utterance which his mother taught him is found in the Proverbs thirty-one Woman.

Lemuel means devoted to God. So is this group of paintings with words from the King and defined in the heart of the artist, Betty Slade

He concludes his proverbs with the portrait of the Proverbs thirty-one Woman. He recognizes the attributes of a godly woman; her beauty can not be compared but excels beyond the many daughters who have done well, and her husband and her children will call her blessed.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Waiting

My name is Wisdom, I am the Voice of God, I am the bride-spirit

I have waited for you, I have cried aloud outside, I've raised my voice in the open squares. How long will it be until you turn to me? I will pour out my spirit on you, I will make my words known to you.

Turn to me, make your footing sure. I have waited for you.

You must also learn to wait. Seek me with a single mind. Otherwise, you will be tossed to and fro like a ship on the waters, or like a ldouble-minded child.
Waiting

Gallery Tour: Waiting, watercolor, full sheet

This painting was the first one I painting in this series. It just happened. The year was 1986. 

On the top of the adobe is the cross and it witnesses the heart of the maiden. Today I wait for His return, maybe she too is waiting for her lover's return. Her face is hidden, only He will know her heart and read her face.

There is no explanation, when Spirit births an idea or creative notion. You can not explain it. It comes like the wind, you can not tell where it comes from or where it will go. This was the way this painting began and it became the beginning of hundreds of  paintings in  the "Women of the Wind series."

This body of work has an etheral and wispy quality, much like the Spirit. The faint images are transparent with only a line or a color to represent their form..

 This series was named by my good friend, Betty Lucero. In 1990, I had just opened a Signature Gallery, Lucero walked in the door in a hurry; and like a whirlwind she began to move inventory around, redoing displays and when she came to this body of work, she said, "Her name is Women of the Wind".

Would I know the impact of this series at the time? No. It was in a time when I was ambitous and driven and I did not know about waiting. I had my eyes on Jesus and also on my ambitious art career. I was double-minded and I was driven by the winds of commerce, success and approval.

A woman came in to the gallery and said, "All women know what it is to wait." I learned that lesson but it took years of waiting.

Re-stringing pearls of Wisdom

My Son, waiting has been in every prayer and every cry for you. Yes, Wisdom cries out for your completion, but patience has had its perfect work in ME, so that I may be perfect and complete, lacking northing. (James 1:5) Yes, Jesus taught me about His Love as I waited on Him for your return.
 Yes, you have been my completion. As I cried for you, I cried for me.

Words from Solomon


"Wisdom calls aloud outside; She raises her voice in the open squares. She cries out in the chief concourses, at the openings of the gates in the city.

She speaks her words: How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity? For scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge. Turn at my rebuke; Surely I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you."  Proverbs 1:20-23

No comments:

Post a Comment